Friday, November 19, 2010

Some old poems

I really like writing poetry. Unfortunately I don't think I'm usually that good at it. I've written some poems that I do like. I think I like these ones, but I'm not completely sure.

There you sat
A ghost from the past
Nonchalant
Nothing to say
I stopped dead in my tracks
Shocked, invisible
Forgotten days recalled
Dead memories revived
On my knees, begging reprieve
Stop holding me close
Stop saying those words
Let me live and move on
Stop falling in love
It's all been a dream
Forever a dream
I hate your fucking dreams


I barf as quietly as I can into the porcelain
Try not to wake your sleeping angel face
Can't bear the thought of your little feet innocently plodding to your crucifixion
Bottles littered over the tile
Blood dripping across the slanted floor
Your superhero dying in the trash
Sleep, sleep, let your perfect dreams live
Never, ever wake up
Or wake only to smiles, a clean floor, and a nutritious breakfast
Sleep, sleep, and dream not of your beaten superhero
Weak in the fact of disguised kryptonite
You are perfect
Never grow
Not into a stained, broken superhero


Your foul, thick air
Washes over my brain
I live for a moment with room to breathe
I live for the time before you and me
Your pervasive stench
Wills me to suffocate
Suffocate in your lies
And your foul, thick memories
Screw you


I'm afraid of fire.
When I was young, I stared into one for hours, mesmerized
I reached out to touch it
My mother pulled me away, screaming about the pain it would cause
I didn't touch it, but I've been afraid since
When I became an adult, I avoided it as best I could
When face to face with my fear, I would close my eyes
One day I peeked.
I was a child again, staring, mesmerized.
I reached out to touch it
My mother was not there to pull me away
I touched it, and I'm not longer afraid
It pulled me in
It covered me
It killed me
I touched it again
I'm not afraid of fire.


Did I hold on too long
When we last touched?
Did I say something wrong
When we last spoke?
I don't care
You've seen who I am, I've seen you
This is not you
Your world is full of colors
You're killing them shades of grey
Your world is filled with wonder
You're seeing it in 2-d
That work of art you just painted
You call it death
So if I hold on too long
Or say something wrong
Forgive my wonder, forgive my awe
I'm moving you to see
Your life's great poetry

No comments: