Friday, December 10, 2010

Phoenix

Failure.

I fail at a lot of things.

I fail in the way that is getting really old. You know what I mean. When I trip walking up a staircase or spill water on myself and everyone around me says "FAIL." Ugh. Yes, I know.

So, I fail in ways that are laughable, small. Ways that provide amusement for me and those around me.

But I fail in bigger ways, too. Important ways.

Today, I may very likely have failed an important test. A test that, if passed, would ease a lot of worry and suffering for me.

Today, I was reminded again that I am a failure when it comes to change. I was reminded also that I am a failure as a roommate and a failure as a friend. A failure as a person of faith. A failure as a student. A failure at life.

When I physically fall flat on my face, I am able to pick myself up pretty quickly, brush myself off, laugh hysterically for a minute or two, then move on.

This is something I need to learn to do better when it comes to other types of failure.

Making mistakes can be good. It certainly helps with humility. But it also helps remind me that I don't have to be perfect and trying so hard to be perfect is useless.

Hopefully I can learn from my mistakes. Hopefully I am learning to be better at change, a better friend, roommate, person of faith, and student. Hopefully I am learning to live my life in more positive ways.

As I fail again and again, though, I remember that I am not perfect. I pick myself up and dust myself off and try to move on, maybe better this time.

No comments: